Army National Guard, Tennessee, A-1-179

Army National Guard, Tennessee, A-1-179

Description/Blazon
A disk 2 3/8 inches (6.03 cm) in diameter with a blue 1/8 inch (.32 cm) border edged with 1/16 inch (.16 cm) of white inner border, and a red center 2 inches (5.08 cm) in diameter, bearing on a wreath of six twists, alternating white and red, upon a green mound, a green hickory tree, charged with three white stars, one and two.
Symbolism
The hickory tree refers to Andrew Jackson who was known as "Old Hickory" because of his toughness as a fighter. The three white stars which appear on the State flag allude to the three grand divisions or areas of the State: East Tennessee, Middle Tennessee and West Tennessee. The white and red twists of the wreath refer to the English origin of the original settlers.
Background
The shoulder sleeve insignia was originally approved for Headquarters and Headquarters Detachment, Tennessee Army National Guard on 29 May 1950. It was amended to add symbolism of the design on 1 April 1974. The insignia was redesignated on 30 December 1983, for Headquarters, State Area Command, Tennessee Army National Guard. It was redesignated effective 1 October 2003, for the Tennessee Army National Guard Element, Joint Force Headquarters and amended to update the description.

(TIOH Dwg. No. A-1-179)

Information & Plaques Courtesy of The Institute of Heraldry!!

Loading...