Army National Guard, Puerto Rico, A-1-466

Army National Guard, Puerto Rico, A-1-466

Description/Blazon
On a shield 2 1/4 inches (5.72 cm) in width and 2 13/16 inches (7.14 cm) in height overall, within a 1/8 inch (.32 cm) white border a field of red having in base three waves of blue, white and blue and overall a beveled white cross throughout shaded silver gray between and behind at each flank a portion of a yellow tower with two battlements rising from the waves and extending over the horizontal arms of the cross.
Symbolism
The white (or silver) cross and red ground refer to the fact that the city of San Juan, capital of Puerto Rico and the site of the Headquarters Puerto Rico National Guard, was one of the first Christian communities established in America (1508). The three wavy blue, white and blue bars symbolize water and in addition to also alluding to San Juan harbor are used to indicate that Puerto Rico is an island. The two castle towers allude to the fortress of El Moro which once protected the harbor and now refers to the constant readiness of the Puerto Rico Army National Guard to defend its homeland and combat the forces of aggression. The entire design of the cross and towers as well as the colors red and yellow allude to the Spanish discovery and settlement of Puerto Rico and its Spanish heritage and culture.
Background
The shoulder sleeve insignia was originally approved for Headquarters and noncolor bearing units of the Puerto Rico National Guard on 9 October 1967. It was redesignated with description amended for Headquarters, State Area Command, Puerto Rico Army National Guard on 30 December 1983. The insignia was redesignated for the Puerto Rico Army National Guard Element, Joint Force Headquarters and amended to update the description effective 1 October 2003.

(TIOH Dwg. No. A-1-466)

Information & Plaques Courtesy of The Institute of Heraldry!!

Loading...