Army National Guard, Maryland, A-1-484

Army National Guard, Maryland, A-1-484

Description/Blazon
On a black disc 2 3/4 inches (6.99 cm) in diameter within a 1/8 inch (.32 cm) gold border, the shield of the Great Seal of Maryland Proper (1st and 4th quarters, yellow and black; 2nd and 3rd quarters, white and red).
Symbolism
The first and fourth quarters of the shield are the arms of the Calvert family and the second and third quarters are those of the Crossland family which Cecil Calvert inherited from his grandmother, Alicia, wife of Leonard Calvert, the father of George, first Lord Baltimore. Background The shoulder sleeve insignia was originally approved for Headquarters and Headquarters Detachment on 8 March 1949. It was redesignated with description amended for Headquarters, State Area Command, Maryland Army National Guard on 30 December 1983. The insignia was redesignated for the Maryland Army National Guard Element, Joint Force Headquarters and amended to update the description and add a symbolism effective 1 October 2003.

(TIOH Dwg. No. A-1-484)

Information & Plaques Courtesy of The Institute of Heraldry!!

Loading...