Army National Guard, New Jersey, A-1-167

Army National Guard, New Jersey, A-1-167

Description/Blazon
On a Blue shield 2 1/2 inches (6.35 cm) in width and 3 1/8 inches (7.94 cm) in height, the crest for the New Jersey National Guard: On a wreath of the colors Argent and Gules, a lion's head erased Or langued Gules and collared with four fusils of the like.
Symbolism
The original settlements in the State were English and Dutch. The coats of arms of both countries bear lions. The original proprietor was Sir George Carteret whose arms bore the four red lozenges. As the predominant permanent settlement was of English origin, the twists of the wreath are white and red.

Background
The shoulder sleeve insignia was originally approved for Headquarters and Headquarters Detachment, New Jersey National Guard on 21 September 1955. It was amended to correct the wording in the description on 7 October 1955. The insignia was redesignated with description amended effective 30 December 1983, for Headquarters, State Area Command, New Jersey National Guard. It was redesignated for the New Jersey Army National Guard Element, Joint Force Headquarters and amended to update the description and add a symbolism effective 1 October 2003.

(TIOH Dwg. No. A-1-167)
 Color, NSN: 8455-01-495-6968
Subdued, Olive Drab, NSN: 8455-01-495-6960

Information & Plaques Courtesy of The Institute of Heraldry!!

Loading...