1st Armored Division, A-1-330

1st Armored Division, A-1-330

Description/Blazon
An equilateral triangle, one point up, above a
horizontal tab attached in base, the overall
dimensions of triangle and tab is
4 1/16 inches (10.32 cm) in height and
3 7/8 (9.84 cm) inches in width,
the triangle is divided into three sections,
the upper section yellow, the dexter section
blue and the sinister section red, overall
a gun bendwise in front of a tank track and
wheels all black surmounted by a red
lightning flash bend sinisterwise. In the apex the Arabic numeral "1" in black, all within a 1/8 inch (.32 cm) green border. The tab is yellow with a 1/8 inch (.32 cm) green border with the inscription "OLD IRONSIDES" in black letters 5/16 inch (.79 cm) in height.
Symbolism
Yellow, blue, and red are the colors of the branches from which armored units were formed. The tank tread, gun, and lightning flash are symbolic of mobility, power, and speed. The Division's designation is in Arabic numerals.
Background
The shoulder sleeve insignia was originally approved without the tab on 22 November 1940. The tab was authorized as a separate item on 21 February 1956. The insignia was changed to a one-piece insignia on 5 November 1970.

(TIOH Drawing Number A-1-330)

Information & Plaques Courtesy of The Institute of Heraldry!!

Loading...